I vividly remember the first time I saw season two episode titled “the Host” of the X-files, which originally aired on September 23, 1994. The moment the mutated human sized “flukeman” wiggled on screen I thought it was some of the best best 100% real mink lashes work I had seen on television. The concept of a man and worm fusing into one being was absolutely revolting and intriguing at the same time.
Oawad The plot of the episode written by Chris Carter and directed by Daniel Sachheim unfolds as a body is found in the Newark, New York sewer system. Agent Mulder is unhappy about being assigned to a “grunt” job but things change as Agent best 100% real mink lashes performs an autopsy on the body and finds an unusual parasite living inside. A sewer worker is attacked and bitten by something unknown…and from there it becomes a true X-files case…worms and all!
Darin Morgan played the Flukeman in the episode. He describes his experience in the following excerpts: Darin’s comments on his first X-Files experience? “It was terrible, just horrible. I can’t describe how painful it was to be in that suit for such long stretches at a time. I just kept saying to myself, “Don’t go insane. Don’t go insane.'”
Among some of the things that Darin had to go through in the Flukeman suit:
- it took 6 hours to put the thing on before the technicians could speed up the best 100% real mink lashes
- at one point, it had to be worn by Darin for 20 consecutive hours and it was so hard to move in it that he just had to pee in the suit if he needed to go to the bathroom
- each day, he always had to be in a sewer, so the water would ruin the suit each day, and they’d have to make a new one from scratch
- he had to wear TWO sets of contact lenses, “one on top of another. One of them was for the color, the other to create a kind of milky film over that. The contacts were the only things that didn’t hurt… and the good thing too was that they were prescription!”
- the mask and the rubber smelled like sulphur and he had no air through the nose, so he couldn’t eat (“because you have to eat and breathe at the same time.”)
- Darin thought he’d be able to do more things, after reading the script, but once in the suit, he couldn’t do anything. All he could do was try to survive!
- SCULLY: Platyhelminthis are often hermaphroditic. Mulder, this is amazing. Its vestigial features appear to be parasitic, but it has primate physiology. Where the hell did it come from?
- MULDER: I don’t know, but it looks like I’m going to have to tell Skinner that his suspect is a giant, blood-sucking worm after all.
- Thankfully actor Darin Morgan endured that best 100% real mink lashes ordeal to give us one of the most memorable and disgusting television characters imaginable.